Saturday, January 9, 2010

How fun is THIS going to be?!

Pin It This is the fabric cuts for the project I'm starting next weekend!  I'm so excited!  It's a mixture of Amy Butler, Michael Miller, artgalleryfabrics, Moda, a TON of sweet textiles and I'm so excited! 



That white looks like your regular, run of the mill solid white cotton.  Do you know me at all?!  Oh...  maybe you don't.  Well okay my lovelies.  That is not just any plain solid white.  THAT is a delicious fabric called Rock Candy by Blank Textiles in "Alabaster".  It's a metallic-ish tonal and I ♥ it!  Here's a better photo:



I'm super stoked to get this project done.  I'm making the Curved Log Cabin by Blue Underground Studios.  If you google that, you'll see a photo of an ugly quilt that I never would've made in a million years.  Why, why WHY do pattern designers always seem to choose the ugliest fabrics for their cover photos?!  Do they not want to sell patterns or what?!  (No offense to anyone that likes the cover sample) :P

The first time I saw this quilt EVER was on a website for my favoritest quilt shop in the whole wide world, called Quiltology in Chicago.  It's a teensy weensy itty bitty quilt shop in the heart of Lincoln Park.  It may be small but Collette (the owner) more than makes up for it with having awesome (non-fabric-picky-outy-friendly) lighting, great decor and AWESOME fabrics! You can view the website and link to her online shop here

I had the pleasure of visiting this lovely little shop in September and spent a small fortune on various prints, mostly Michael Miller.  Some Amy Butler.  Anyway, after having seen the Curved Log Cabin on her website done in all Amy Butler fabrics for the scrappy part and a white solid for the contrast, I couldn't wait to see it up close and personal because it looked SO MUCH BETTER than the one on the actual pattern.   Here's a photo I took of the quilt while I was in her shop:


Gorgeous?!  Oh yes!  I considered buying her kit but I'm so not the type to just use whatever I'm given.  I'd much rather pick everything out myself no matter how much of a headache it is.  I'm so excited to make this quilt!  Although mine will be bigger...  I apparently always have to make the big'uns.  This one is 72x90 and mine will measure 90x90.  I think.  Pretty sure.  Yeah.  I don't typically dig square quilts but I just like the look of the next size up (with more blocks the sides come to more of a close and don't look so cut off) better than this one.  I cut all of my sub-cuts today...  1500 rectangles.  Actually, that's a lie.  It's 1300 rectangles and 200 squares but whatever! 

I'm sure the construction of this bad boy will give me many a headache but I'm up for the challenge.  I figured that after having finished my masterpiece (photo for those of you that haven't seen it) I need something else to stress me out:



Another super fun thing I'm doing (or hope to do, assuming I get juried in) is a contest called So You Think You Can Quilt.  Having to commit to making a quilt a month for 10 months is a little intimidating but I jumped in head first.  You can read more about the contest on Leisel's blog here.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do about this wholecloth situation I've gotten myself into!

2 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics (that I can see anyway) that you've chosen. I think it's going to be fantastic when it's finished. And one of these years I'll actually see them in person. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this post is way old - but I am in love with that quilt! How did you go making it in the end? Is it finished now?

    ReplyDelete