Wednesday, January 13, 2010

One down, 99 to go!

Pin It Therapy was in session for part of the day today.  I was in a bit of a poopy mood today.  Not a bad mood, I wasn't grumpy, just a little down.  I really didn't want to work on the quilt I have on the frame (which I think played a large part in the yucky mood) but I did.  Until about 1:00pm, at least!  I needed to do something different, something I would enjoy, so I turned on the good ol' Viking.

We got a bunch of new black and white fabrics in a few weeks ago that I would LOVE to make a B&W quilt out of, but there are only so many hours in a day, days in a week, etc.  I wanted to use them.  So I did.  I figured, why not a new bag?  I mean, it'd been two whole days since I made one so, YES!  That's it!  My original plan was to make the lining red for an "aaaahhhhh" factor, but ultimately decided to keep it all black and white.  Here is the result:


I like it, and it's super simple* to make.  I only wish I'd taken the time to center the motif, but it's okay.  It has a super duper sturdy magnetic closure on the flap and one interior pocket.  You can find the tutorial for this bag here.
(*While it's super simple to make, the instructions are kind of vague so I do not recommend it for a beginner)

Once I was done with that I still had time left to my day so I tried to come up with something else I could start (and finish) before I called it quits. This is where the title to this entry comes in! After getting all of my sub-cuts for my CLC (I will be referring to my Curved Log Cabin from now on simply as "CLC"), I've been itching to make at least one block to see how my fabric choices flowed and to test how long it takes to make each block.  This is the block I made this afternoon:



At first I thought  about getting rid of all of my "scrappy" fabrics that had a light background because, well...  I'm not sure why.  But after thinking about it and realizing there are 99 more blocks to make and I'll never know how it looks until it comes to actual construction of the top, I decided to take a walk on the wild side and leave them in (in this block, it's the Figgy Pudding piece second from the top).  I like how it looks.  Unfortunately pressing seems open takes a lot of time.  The blocks measure 9.5 inches and it took me about 20-30 minutes to make this block.  That could be largely due to the fact that I'm a crazy perfectionist though.  Pretty? I like how the "contrast" fabric ended up looking with the rest of them.  Imagine what it'll look like all put together!  That puts a smile on my face!

Now I'm really excited for this weekend so I can really dig into piecing all of these beauties together!

Needless to say, my sewing therapy definitely helped and I was sad to turn off the sewing machine and go home.  But I've decided to not work myself to the death this year (no more sleeping on the futon in the back room of the shop!) so I left at about 6:45.  :o)

Does anybody else find that when you get a little time with your sewing machine to work on things you want to do, rather than things you have to do, it's incredibly therapeutic?  I know there are some of you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment