Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tick tock... tick tock...

Pin It
 

Before I get into a whole lot of nothing, I just have to say...  that is the coolest clock I have ever seen and I think I need one.  Perhaps I'll even make one?!  That'd be fun!
So, we've all had those days, weeks, months where it seems like no matter how many rungs on the ladder we climb, at the end of the day we end up a few lower than when we started, right?  That's how I'm beginning to feel.  Don't get me wrong, I'm most definitely not complaining.  Not at all.  I probably would be if I didn't love what I do so much.  However being so busy that you can't see straight really isn't that much fun sometimes.

I now have 1 week and 5 days until I leave for my surgery.  I'm really starting to freak out.  Today, as I was working on the quilt I have on the frame (measures 99x111 and is constructed entirely of 2.5 inch squares {except the borders} that the client wants all stitch-in-the-ditch) I was determined to get all of the SID done today.  Which, I did accomplish.  But in the process of working on it I had a customer bring in five quilts she wants done...  bringing the grand total of my waiting list to s-e-v-e-n-t-y.  70!  This is really quite the compliment to be honest but...  seventy!   

It's hard for me to have this many people waiting on my list because I feel like in some way, making them wait is letting them down.  Everyone (mostly) is more than happy to wait, I just don't like for them to have to.  But, at the same time I have to take a break every now and then to do something different for my own sanity's sake.  Unfortunately now, when I could use the break the most is the time that I certainly can not!  

Now, to add to the madness and just another thing for me to learn/do:  We're going to carry yarn in the shop!    I've been wanting to learn to knit for as long as I can remember, but haven't really had anyone to teach me.  It took a nudge from a group of local knitters looking for quality supplies, and we're finally doing it.  Yarn, knitting needles, books, the works.  Of course we're starting out small and slow to get a feel for what everyone wants/likes but we really are expanding and it's exciting.

We are also now carrying 30s reproduction prints! (I've wanted to and finally ordered it)

We are also offering more classes soon!

We are also closing for a few days in the next month or two to completely rearrange the shop!

So many fun things happening and you know what?  One day... ooooone daaaaay I'll be all caught up and wish for days like today where I felt so busy that I could just cry in the corner.  =]

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot coming in the next few months. I know I want to learn how to knit and how to sew; but I think I'm going to end up trying to find a class for it. I'm always so jealous of all the neat things Brit makes. I'd love to be able to make some cute stuff for the future-baby-that-has-not-been-conceived-yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making a baby sling with a matching diaper bag and changing mat... It should be fabulous.
    What happened with that chick with green (?) hair you said was going to teach you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as the people know the wait time before they say yes they'll wait, you're doing nothing wrong. You could raise the prices (for those beginning after the 70 quilts already in line, of course), if you want to slow down the growth of the waiting list. If they're willing to pay that much and wait that long, then it's a satisfactory transaction all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already have raised my prices! haha But you're absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear you are going to start carrying yarn:) I love to knit as well as quilt. I can teach you how to knit. I am currently working on The Great American Aran Afghan. It is really cool. Hope you get just enough rest after your surgery for a speedy recovery, but not enough rest to drive you crazy missing what you love to do;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited about the yarn! Yay! I'm having a bad day. First of all a killer headache. But secondly, Moda Bake Shop bumped me from Feb 24 to March 2. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but you only get one post per month which takes out March. I got an e-mail from the lady in charge saying that I made changes (I did but several days ago) and didn't hit publish. I specifically remember hitting publish and it telling me that my post was scheduled for Feb 24 at midnight. I'm dumping on you, but you understand, right? PLus, I think it was a glitch in their system because someone else's tutorial published today that wasn't supposed to. It really ticks me off that they say it was my fault. Bummer. Hope your day was better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa I thought you might be excited about the yarn! Now, in addition to the Sew-Ins, we will also have Knit Nights, and maybe you can make it for one of those! The yarn rep got to the shop around 5:15 this afternoon. I left at 8:30 and they were still going strong picking out a rainbow of colors in every weight of acrylic, cotton, wool and bamboo... I'm excited for sure, but would be more excited if I wasn't so clueless. So now I'm determined to either teach myself or wrangle someone (DeAnne?) into teaching me!
    That's awful about the bake shop... Seems like Moda in general is having a lot of glitches lately. You're not dumping on me and even if you were, you know I wouldn't mind. I was beginning to wonder when it was going to be since it was Monday when you came in and had already submitted it. You know it wasn't your fault and I am your witness! :o)
    My day was actually pretty good. I got some super lovely news yesterday about getting a special visitor to take care of me for a few days after surgery ( ♥) and that happiness carried over into today. I finished the stitch in the ditch quilt right at quitting time. Then the yarn. Now I'm home watching the 20th anniversary digitally remastered edition of Dirty Dancing while cutting out the blades for my gradated Dresden Plate I told you I was thinking about making.
    I hope you were able to get rid of your headache and feel better soon. I'm hoping to make it into your store tomorrow before you close! It's been a while since I've been in and I wanted to last Saturday but ended up working until around 10pm. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I just wrote a novel! But ONE MORE THING:
    DeAnne? (I still don't know if I'm spelling that correctly) You have your alpaca farm and your yarn picker... Interested in selling some hand-made yarn in the shop? =] Let's talk, dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, DeAnn beat me to it. I was going to tell you that she knits a lot and could teach you. I also do a little bit of knitting as Deann dragged me into doing that too just like she dragged me into quilting. I swear everytime I turn around that girl is telling me about the new projects and artistic skills I am about to embark upon. She even dragged me to a fiber festival one time to learn how to make bobbin lace. I had a broken leg and had to sit there with my leg propped up on a chair with all those little bobbin like spindles with thread rolled up on them and then twist and turn, under and over etc to weave a piece of lace. That was a sight! She even drove my car with me propped up in the back seat with my leg up on the seat to get there. The things that girl talks me into. But we have funnnnn!!!! Anyway, glad to hear you are going to start carrying yarn, etc. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my defense, dragging her and her broken body parts to the fiber festival was all for physical therapy. We need to exercise to heal quicker don't we...and what better way than a fiber fest;) LOL! It is not very hard to twist her arm if it means a road trip:) When she said I drove with her propped up in the back seat I invision Chevy Chase's movie vacation and their unlucky grandmother. What a trip! I would love to talk about selling yarn in the store. We could even talk about setting up the spinning wheel and doing some demos while your customers shop. Fun to see and hear how the fiber is processed. What fun. Now, I am really excited. I can teach you how to knit. Maybe I will bring along some of my knit items when we come visit in March. Be prepared...I may just start dragging you along on my little endeavers:) See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, a special someone, huh? Sounds like something I need to come in person and find out about.

    ReplyDelete