Monday, March 8, 2010

Pre-op pretty mixed with a little disappointment

Pin It
My last day of work before surgery, I had decided that I needed a "me" day since I didn't get my Sunday.  A friend wanted to come sew for the day so I thought, perfect opportunity!  I got this pattern for a tunic a couple days before (and blogged about it, of course) and had been dying to get my hands on it.

I really wanted to make the dress.  The pattern comes with cutting instructions for a tunic, cami, mini dress and dress.  I didn't have enough fabric to make the dress.  Or did I?  I realized, DUH.  I wanted to make the yoke, fabric flower and belt out of contrasting fabric anyway so I did, indeed have enough to make the dress!

So make the dress, I did.  Now I should mention that this isn't really something I would ever wear.  I love love LOVE this fabric, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but florals like this work best for me in small doses.  However, I felt compelled to make this dress out of my Amy Butler LOVE fabric.  I knew it would take the rest of what I had to make the dress but figured it'd be okay since I was going to get more when I went back for surgery anyway.  More on that later...

So I cut out the fabric to make a size small.  I was leaning toward the extra small, and also planned to drop the waist a bit but I just got so excited and wanted to get started, all of that flew out the window and I cut a small with the regular waist.  I got my two exterior body pieces sewn together and pressed my seam open and then this:



Now, I have mentioned time and time again this whole love/hate thing I have going on with my Clover Mini Iron.  It really is the best thing since sliced bread.  I just cannot seem to get it through my head when I have it turned on to keep it far, far, far away from anything important!  So of course?  I freaked out.  I thought maybe I could FrayBlock it, but knew that it was too deep of a burn and it would just turn into a hole after the first washing.  I was so sick to my stomach.  Right on the front but so close to the seam!

Then my mother came to the rescue.  "Why don't you do a gusset?"  YES!  That's it!  And you know what?  The fabric was matched as perfectly as possible and I don't think you can even tell.  This is a close-up shot of the gusset and really when you're standing at a normal distance, you can't tell at all.
 

Crisis:  Averted.
So I got all kinds of excited by this point because it started really coming together.  Doing the yoke wasn't fun at all but I got it done and tried it on.  Urm, uh...  Hmmmmm.

It's too small through the bust, but I think I can handle wearing it as is because I really don't want to rip it apart.  Also, it's supposed to be baggy through the waist and hips but it's...  really big through the waist and hips.  I didn't get a chance to get the belt and fabric flower made and hopefully that'll help.  As it stands, it could probably be taken in a good 3 or so inches in each side and still fit loosely.  

I figure since I didn't get the belt and flower made anyway, the next time I start working on them, I'm also going to rip apart the dress, but only at the waist.  The pattern doesn't have belt loops.  I think if it has a belt, it needs to have loops!  If you forgo the belt, forgo the loops...  That's just me, though.

So aside from the sizing issues and the ginormous burn, I'm happy with the way it turned out and I promise I'll wear it at least once this spring.  Here's the (un)finished product!



Can you see the gusset?  I sure can't.  It's my absolute favorite length, too.  Just at the knee.  The belt will be made of the same teal/green dots I used for the yoke, and the flower will be made of the pink on pink dots.  I still need to find the perfect buttons to finish it off (four button closure in the back).  I'd love to find the perfect sweater to wear over it but the colors are so unique, I'd probably have to make it myself.  Which is just another reason I need to get my butt in gear and learn how to knit WELL.  Not just knit, but do it well!

The first article of clothing I've ever finished for myself.  Do I pass?

** Editing in to add:  I spent so much time trying to find Vellum paper for the stupid Latte Quilt club, I didn't have time to go to the quilt shop and get more fabric.  I mentioned it when my surgeon released me from the hospital and she actually forbade me going shopping for fabric immediately upon release.  How dare she?!

6 comments:

  1. Small bust with big hips? It would probably fit me! :o)
    Anywhoo, that is so funny about your doctor. If you need me to go pick up your sewing machine and stash, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, you're just the sweetest! But I could never ask you to do that for me. My stash is all over the place (not really, but it would probably seem like it is to an "outsider").
    I really wanted to get all of my things out of the shop and home the night before I left but I was so tuckered out from inventory and other madness I just didn't have the energy.
    Didn't get it tonight either. But I MUST get it tomorrow!
    PS- I'll grab my pattern too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what? I already entered the Pink Fig contest! Yeah, I follow her too. I entered last month too, but Leisel beat me. To tell you the truth, I hated that Nie Nie skirt. It was a big fat pain and so heavy I'm not sure Anna will ever wear it again. Leisel's was much prettier. I e-mailed her to ask if she took some fullness out of it and she said yes! I'm guessing she's made that one more than once. I intend to never make it again! But on the Mia top, so cute. I've made it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I think it's adorable! Congratulations on your first big girl garment! ;) Is this the Anna Tunic? I tried that last year and found the same issue in the chesticle area. I never went back and adjusted the pattern because I was so disgusted, haha. :) (Mine was unwearable, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, duh. I came over to say my shoes are from Naturalizer.com!! I think they were like $23 on sale, so you better hurry, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie, it is the Anna (as you already know because I posted to your blog!).
    I decided against the shoes. But ONLY because I bought two other pairs of ballet flats that I just absolutely had to have. One of the pairs? They're brown satin with the cutest bow on the toes and they match the brown satin detail around the bottom of my new skirt just famously! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete