Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Goodness, some linky linkies and of course, a few pretties. And a partridge in a pear tree.

Pin It (Have I already used that partridge in a pear tree line?  Oh well.)
I've got so much to talk about, I'm not sure where to start!
I had an excellent Easter this year.  So excellent in fact that I didn't want to come home (but was ever-so-glad once I did finally get home).  I don't get many chances to get back to Nebraska and see my family and it was wonderful getting to see everyone, catch up on what's been going on and all that jazz.  One of my main goals was to remember to take my masterpiece with me to finally give it to its "rightful" (not sure if that's the right word to use) owner.
This was not easy for me!  For the last couple of weeks ever since I finished sewing the binding on, I've had it sitting on the sofa so that when I was home I could just stare at it.  I love... love love love to just stare at it.  When you spend eight and a half months on something that pretty much becomes your entire life, it's a little hard to come to grips with giving it away.  But I did it.  I feel like I need a support group.
We were all gathered at my grandmother's house and it is too big to have spread it out in her living room (seriously, just wait...  you'll see).  I took my sister outside and gathered some help holding it up and the majority of my extremely large family followed to see what the big deal was.  haha!  This picture should finally give everyone an idea of just how big this sucker really is.  I can tell you it's 115"x133" but that doesn't really mean much when you think about it.  Here it is, the last picture of my masterpiece I will ever take:

(Upon publishing this post, I see that Blogger isn't showing the whole picture.  Humbug. Luckily you can clicky wicky to see the full sized version.)  See that handsome fella standing next to me holding it up?  That's my daddy.  He's 6'1".  It's BIG!!  Which is actually a good thing because my sister's husband is 6'7".  :o)  Anyway, I think what made giving this to her the hardest was knowing that 1) She has a sleigh bed and all that purdiful trapunto on the bottom will be covered up [Of course I didn't realize this until after it was almost finished] and 2) She's moving to southern Alabama in a couple of months.  What's she need a nice big, cozy quilt for?  {Note that in my head I was trying to justify not giving it to her}.  It's done.  It's gone.  And she will take care of it.
Now today, I got to work on a super pretty batik wall hanging quilt on the good ol' Gammill.  I had no idea how I was going to quilt it when I got it on the frame so I was pretty unsure of myself as I was working on it but now that it's off the frame, I have fallen in love with it.



I wasn't sure which photos were best so I just posted a bunch.  I hope you don't mind.  Isn't it just so pretty and bright and cheery and perfect?  I hope she's happy with it.  Woohoo!

The UPS man paid me a visit today, as well.  His name is Nate, but I prefer to refer to him as the Brown Santa.  He likes to make fun of me for how excited I get every time a shipment of fabric arrives.  Today's menu?  Summer Song by My Mind's Eye for Riley Blake.  Have I told you how much I love Riley Blake stuff?  Anyway, without any further ado:

Again, bright and cheery and perfect!  Not only does it look sweet?  It smells sweet.  Seriously.  I took each bolt out of its plastic and it literally smelled like a candy necklace or something.  Just to be sure I wasn't off my rocker I took it around to everyone in the shop at the time and had them take a whiff to confirm I'm still {almost} sane.  I love it!

Next topic:  In my last entry I was waaah waaaah waaaah-ing about having run out of people to give my crap to.  I found a new cause for some of my baby/kid quilts.  Check this out.  Give a Kid a Quilt?  Don't mind if I do?  I don't know how people handle coordinating efforts like this but I will say that I am happy that I can contribute.

One more thing and then I promise I'm done, maybe.  Chelsea over at Vintage Chic Boutique is starting to take pre-orders for her Hippy Chick skirt pattern!  I'm far from a teen and most definitely not a tween but I have to have that pattern.  And I think you should too.  :o)

I have other things I want to talk about that I'm super duper insanely excited about but I'm not going to because they're secret!  (Seriously, would you believe that this is what I'm like after an awful day?  Keeping secrets?  I'm just not nice)

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Holy snot, that's a huge quilt! What a good sister you are. And really, how special for her to have!
    I would die working at a quilt/fabric store. No, really, because I'd have no money left for silly things like food and water.
    And I think that donating/making quilts for kids in need would make it all the more motivating to create. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am, it's pretty dern big, ya hear? :o)
    I'm lucky that ours is a family shop so while I make peanuts for an actual wage (seriously... with my salary and the hours I work... don't even get me started), so all of the fabric that I use kind of evens it out I suppose. I totally understand though. I'm pretty sure if I had to choose between a burrito and a yard of the most awesome fabric ever, you know what my choice would be!
    I'm excited about the Give A Kid A Quilt thing. It's something new to donate to, spreads the love a little more. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete