Thursday, April 15, 2010

SYTYCQ Round 2: The unVEILing

Pin It Voting is over for round two of the So You Think You Can Quilt contest.  Eve won again.  I came in second to last (!).  I love my friend Melissa's quilt.  It's so pretty!
For this month's theme of "vintage", I decided to go with something a little more personal and really didn't care how the voting turned out because I loved it regardless.  It's special to me.  AND my family.  I had never done a Crazy Quilt before and decided that there was no reason not to try!  I do know now that using batiste as a foundation fabric is a horrible idea!  I designed the quilt around a photo of my great grandmother, Laura Welton.
That photo was taken somewhere in the area of 1920.  She was born in 1902 and died in 1991, right before her first great-great-grandchild was born.
I used a bunch of different fabrics in this quilt.  Including the fabrics, laces, etc. from two family wedding dresses.  I'm the one wearing the dresses in the photos.  They fit like a perfect pair of shoes!

Cutting into those dresses was so hard to do!  I have to say that I think my favorite part of doing this project was the smells of the different fabrics when I pressed them.  There's just something about the smell of old fabrics that have been used for so many different things...  beautiful!

A family member has asked me to make her another of these quilts and include more items in it, 2 aprons of my great grandmother's, and also a nightgown that my great-great-grandmother made for her for her wedding night!!!!!  I'm so excited!  Anyway, I'll shut up now and show you the quilt.  :o)

4 comments:

  1. You were right - I never would've guessed which quilt was yours. I thought maybe #1?

    What a special project for you. I cannot believe those dresses. The second one especially! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1?! Hmm. I kinda thought people my think mine was #1. Yup, I still love it. And I guessed right, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing heritage all in one quilt! Those dresses were amazing. And I love what you said about the ironed fabric. I was pressing some linen my mom gave me, and suddenly was flooded with memories of my childhood home. It smelled JUST like it. I actually teared up thinking about it, the cupboard all my mom's fabric was in, and all those memories. I can imagine sewing with your [great]grandmother's fabric would be even more sentimental. very cool.

    ReplyDelete