Sunday, June 27, 2010

Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can... Charity Challenge Progress Report: Second Edition

Pin It I've had a busy couple of weeks!  In the last two weeks I have pieced six quilt tops and one table runner!  Wowza!  Last night after work, I got home and decided to make another charity top out of leftovers from my Riley Blake Cutting Corners College tutorial.  I decided on something similar to the actual tutorial, yet a little different.  Definitely simple!

I like it.  I think it's cute.  And it makes me so happy to make these things knowing they're going to a good cause.  Another top I pieced yesterday was a little number I decided to make (with an excellent suggestion from Melissa) from Mark Lipinski's Winter's Grace line.  The idea came from a cover of American Patchwork & Quilting.  I didn't actually look at the pattern in the magazine, I looked at the picture on the cover and did it my own way.  Here's what I came up with:

Again, simple...  yet totally striking.  The black really sets it off.  I ♥ it!

Two Sundays ago, when I pieced these quilt tops, I also pieced this guy:

It is made from Blank Quilting's Inspiration fabric for the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition.  It is very simple, basic and very plain.  I planned it that way.  I wanted plenty of open space to incorporate some awesome, spectacular quilting.  When it is finished there will be trapunto, color trapunto (assuming I can find the right color) and lots of fancy and fun quilting on it.

I also, one day or another (I really can't remember anymore) pieced this cute little quilt out of Moda's Fruit Cake and a little Figgy Pudding leftover from last year.  I don't have any pictures of the table runner.  :(

Don't ask me when I'll get all of this crap quilted.  I'd love to do it all...  yesterday...  but the fact remains that there are just too many other things to do that are more "important".  Like, you know...  the stuff I get paid for and am on deadlines for.  Yeah, that stuff!  I reeeeaaaally want to plow through my waiting list to get to the six quilts I have for one person.  They're all SO stinkin' cute and I can't wait to quilt them (among others).  But at least I can have a little fun of my own every now and then.  =]

"Be kind whenever possible.  It is always possible."  -The Dalai Lama

8 comments:

  1. You've been busy, I hope you'll be able to get to your own quilts soon. My sister is a long arm quilter and runs into the same dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that last one is my favorite. I love the whole non-pattern pattern. Did that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously. you do amazing, and quick!, work. love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you tell us what sizes you cut the leftover strips from the Easy Peasy strip quilt? I'm playing with one using 6 fq's, and was thinking of cutting the leftover into 6 5x9.5 and 6 each of the others, to make 6 more blocks. But, yours would be easier. Thanks in advance. I can see me making lots of these!!!
    Sally in TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I sent you a reply privately, but also wanted to reply here in case anyone was wondering:
    I cut my strips into 3.5" and then trimmed the blocks down to 9.5" squares. It's super easy, super fast, and by making the strips wider than I usually do, I lose less fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I nominated you for some blog awards. You can accept if you want. Check out my new post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, one more thing -- I love how that Mark Lipinski quilt turned out. Yay me! Good suggestion, no? Actually it was probably the person doing the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,
    I didn't get your email, but I did check back here..thanks so much. And, I have been cutting the extra into more ep blocks...works out great. Sometimes you may have a couple orphan blocks, but that's okay. I have someone who wants a bunch. :>)
    Thanks again so much for this pattern. I LOVE it!!! One top done, 3 more in various stages, and fq's for at least 4 more. You've created a monster. LOL
    Sally in TX

    ReplyDelete