Tuesday, September 14, 2010

2Corinthians 8:3

Pin It
"For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord."
Let me just say right off the bat that I am not a religious person.  Once upon a time, I was.  Very much so.  That is no longer the case.  However, I'm always happy to help a religious cause.  =]

Many, many, many months ago (I'm talking 10 months ago), I was asked by a friend/customer if I'd be interested in quilting a top for the Methodist church fund raiser auction.  I happily agreed, but after some time went by and I heard nothing more of it, I had completely forgotten about the entire conversation.

Imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks ago, she called me on the phone to ask if I was ready to quilt this top!  I'm sure she could detect a hint of panic in my voice when I said that I was most certainly ready.  Of course I was ready!  I'm always ready.

I was sooooo not ready.

She dropped it off two days after that phone call.  I couldn't help but notice before she even got it out of its bag that she neglected to mention it was a king sized quilt.  She also neglected to mention that it was a Dahlia quilt, which would most certainly require custom quilting!   I have nothing against doing custom quilting on charity quilts.  I just would have rather had time to plan for it.  I was given a week and a half to complete it, so that they would have time to bind it, get the label on (which I still have to embroider for them) and have it on display for a bit before the auction.

I really, really, really wish that I would have known in advance what I was up against.  Not because I minded doing it.  I was actually excited to do it.  But because I could've done it so much BETTER.

A Giant Dahlia would've been the perfect top to do some fun and fancy trapunto feather swags in the corners, maybe even some scroll work, all kinds of cool stuff.  But I just did. not. have. time. to. plan.  Waaaah!


I did the best I could considering the time restraint.  Nevermind the fact that it was a combination of piecing both by machine and by hand, a combined effort of a total of six people digging through their respective stashes and stitching up this beauty.  This massively pretty quilt top!  It was interesting!  Luckily, she just wanted something relatively simple:  Stitch in the ditch and a heavy backfill...  Piece-o-cake!

Anyway, it's late and I'm babbling so here's the quilt already!



Not the best pictures in the world, but they'll do for now.  You know, until I can get a couple of copies from the auction.  Can't wait to see how it does! 

3 comments:

  1. it looks beautiful...i love your quilting despite the lack of time they gave you

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY nice quilting! I was disappointed the flower wasn't more colorful, though, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Jodi, I agree. The purple in the center is a little more colorful than the picture appears. But they just went through their stashes and found whatever pieces matched that there was enough of. =] Luckily, my mother is working on a Dahlia made of awesome blues, reds and rich cream-ish colors that if/when she gets it finished, will be quilted like no tomorrow. Considering she started it 7 years ago and it's now sitting in a basket on a shelf, I won't hold my breath!

    ReplyDelete