Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Evolution of a BeDazzled block

Pin It So, there's this thing I've been working on that's been taking up the vast majority of my "free time" lately.  I've mentioned it once or twice and even shared a couple of photos.  It is my BeDazzled quilt, that I'm obsessed with finishing by December.  And by "finished", I mean all of the embroidery stitched out, the entire quilt put together and then quilted, show quality.  And possibly adding Swarovsky crystals.  All by December.

Why December?  Because I start teaching the class in January!  I prefer to have the sample for any class I teach completed before the classes start.  First, because it gives people a much better idea of what they're signing up for, but also because then I know I've got it finished, and it won't sit around collecting dust.  Yeah.  All of that.

Just to jog your memory, I'll show you a couple of pictures of some of the first blocks, which are much smaller than the others.


Crazy cool, right?  The thing is, it has become increasingly apparent to me that even people that are signed up for the class don't really know what's going on, here.

These blocks are embroidered applique.  You start with pieces of plain fabric, place them "just so" on a piece of plain background fabric, and then you stitch the crap out of it in pretty, bright and vibrant threads.  So in short:


OR


PLUS


EQUALS


OR


Voila!  Four-to-ten (or sometimes 12...  or 14) hours later, you've got a completed block!

Pretty cool, huh?  It's amazing what a difference thread can make.  I've finished all of the blocks for the center of the quilt.  I've also finished one border, and am 3/4 of the way finished with another.  So I have 2.25 borders to complete, and then some embroidery in the cornerstones, then I start construction!

Here's an awful picture of one of the borders:

And since it's such an awful picture, I'll go ahead and show you this one for detail purposes:

And while we're talking about detail, let me just show you this one too...

... and let you know that those hearts on the ends of the feathers?  Yeah.  They were supposed to be pink.  :(  That was a pretty rough weekend, sewing-wise, and I decided *not* to fix it. I could've fixed it.  I didn't want to fix it. Can you believe it?  The so-called-perfectionist that I am?  =]

In other news, yesterday I found out that someone has been taking pictures of my work and claiming it as their own all over the internet.  So while I already have right-clicking disabled on my blog, all of my pictures from here on out may also have some form of copyright or watermark.  Thankyouverymuch! 

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you just bedazzled me.

    That really stinks about someone stealing your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my how beautiful. Makes me want to play around...

    How do you turn off right clicking on your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry that you are having internet issues! what a bummer that someone would do that.

    as for these blocks...wow!! they are fancy and amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful! Can't wait to see it in person : )

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and can't believe how beautiful your work is! Oh boy......something else I want to try.

    ReplyDelete