Saturday, September 11, 2010

Short and sweet. But important. To me.

Pin It
Hello again, everyone!  I know, I know...  I let forever go by again without so much as logging into my Blogger account.  Bad, bad Lisa.  But really, I cannot even tell you all of the crazy things that have been going on around here that have kept me away.  Eventually I will have something ready to show you that will explain a little bit, but that time is not now!
I felt compelled to right a blog post today because I finished something yesterday that has been one of those projects that I just "had to" do.  I don't mean that I was required to do it, I just had to do it.

When I was home recovering from my hysterectomy, I pieced four quilt tops.  Mostly because I was going stir crazy and desperately needed to do something, but it had to be something that I could do.  I made this-and-that, and one day it just hit me that I had all of this Ovarian Cancer Coalition fabric from Blank quilting, and what better time to piece an Ovarian Cancer Awareness quilt than when I was holed up from "that" kind of surgery?

Does anybody remember seeing that quilt?  When I thought up the idea, I immediately knew that of course, I had to use Blank's "Inspiration" line.  I also knew that I wanted it to be extremely simple so that the focus would be on the quiltING, rather than the quilt, itself.  And the above picture is what I came up with.

Early this week, I decided that since September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, I should probably get this guy all quilted up and awesome before the month was over.  And that is exactly what I did for the last two days.

I knew right from the beginning that this would be the perfect project to do a little color trapunto, along with some regular trapunto.

That's the back side of the quilt with half of the blocks trimmed for color trapunto.  I decided that with mid-September fast approaching, regular trapunto wasn't going to be an option as it's extremely time-consuming, and that faux trapunto (two layers of batting) would have to do.  I know, I know...  I talk smack on faux trapunto all the time but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

Once I got the top loaded for final quilting, I knew I wanted to do tons and tons and tons of McTavishing.  These things always sound like a wonderful idea in the beginning, but once you get started you always wonder, "What the hell was I thinking?!"  The best thing is always the hardest thing right?


I decided that since the majority of quilting was going to be backfill, it would be cool to stitch a few hidden messages into the blocks.
Like, the ovarian cancer logo, Break The Silence.



I stitched a couple of other "secrets" in, including my initials and "2010" but you'd never be able to spot any of it unless you were specifically looking for it.  By the time I was half finished, I was definitely ready to get that puppy off the frame.  When you're McTavishing that much, you swear to yourself that it looks like utter crap.  Here is the finished product:




(You can click the images to see full-size, better detail!)
I have to tell you about the exchange that I had with Karen McTavish herself (she is literally my hero, in case you didn't know and I was so sad to miss spending time with her at MQS this year) when she saw my pictures of this quilt (You'll have to forgive the language if the "eff word" offends you):

Karen:  "holy fuck wow"
Me:  "Omg Karen! I SO needed that! The whole time I was quilting this I kept saying to myself, "well one thing's for sure.. I'm no Karen McTavish..." Haha! =]"
Karen:  "No... You are. McLisa."


Good enough for me!

So, Happy Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month to all! (This ended up being not short at all, huh?!)

5 comments:

  1. this is amazing..the quilt was awesome on its own but the quilting you did made it a start and made it stand out...and stand out id what you need right since it is for a cause!!!! great job. i hope that you are all recovered and feeling good

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't blame you for not blogging...that surgery isn't fun...love the way you quilted in those butterflies.

    ReplyDelete