Thursday, March 31, 2011

The end

Pin It But not really.  The end never really seems to be the end, for me.

I finally finished quilting my BeDazzled quilt late, late last night (actually, early, early this morning).

I have to preface the rest of my post with an apology for my lack in writing/thinking skills lately.  I've been so scatter brained and tired.  I am going to sleep tonight!  I think.  I hope.  Anyway!

The quilt.  I started this quilt last June, after I got back from Spring International Quilt Market and saw the designs for the first time.  They were released in Minneapolis, and I knew right away and I had to do it.  It has definitely been a long, learning road.  I wasn't an embroiderer, but I was a pretty decent piecer.  Y-seams?  Didn't even really know what they were.

I typically try to do one big project a year.  When I choose my big project for the year, I want something that is really going to be a challenge.  This...  was the perfect project for this year.  To spend close to a year of your life on something, not knowing what you're doing the entire time, is definitely an interesting experience.

When I get my big projects finished, I feel such relief.  But only for a few brief moments.  Then sadness kicks in.  Why?  Because it's done.  I've obsessed over it, and it has become my entire life.  And then it's just done.

Does anybody else get like that, or is it just me?

Don't get me wrong.  There's still a lot to be done before the quilt is finished.  But all (or most) of the creative part is over.  The rest is just all of the junk that HAS to be done.  Blocking, binding, label, sleeve.  None of that is fun.  But I guess I can still look forward to the very last step:  CRYSTALS!

I don't really have much else to say.  Except that today is the last day of voting for the Golden Quilter Awards (and no, I didn't vote for myself!)!

Now, without any further ado, here is my blood, sweat, and so, so many tears.
Front:


Back (I had to edit this one for the lighting because it was too dark!):

Up close and personal:


There you have it!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! This quilt is beautiful, all your effort has paid off. You have a stunning quilt on your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodnesss...there are no words...that is one amazing quilt!!! I am sure you are just pleased as punch with yourself....just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a fantastic quilt. Love the quilting. That part alone is fantastic! Thank you for sharing... inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get to wear YOUR name tag at IMQA!!! The back is almost as beautiful as the front. Love the orange! Absolutely gorgeous and it's only going to get better with the 10,000 crystals you are going to use : ) Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get sad, too, at the end of things. Whether I'm creating something or just enjoying something someone else has done, like a book, I often get a little blue. And then something else comes along and I'm off...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please tell me you plan on putting this in a quilt show or two or twenty. It is def quilt show material...it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Lisa, it's gorgeous. Please go over to Quiltstory and send it in. I have to see it in person!!!! And the let down -- not too often. I usually have something else that's been cooking so long that I need to get to it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh.My.Goodness. I've watched this come to life and it's been worth the wait. I can't believe the incredibleness of this masterpiece. The back is just as fabulous as the front. You the (wo)man, Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I thought I spent a lot of time on my hand quilting, but, wow! I'm not big on most machine quilting, but, your work is fantastic! I'd love to know what the 'blue marker' is that you use. I'm always trying to find good marking tools for my hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say...the quilting is phenomenal!! Breath taking. I don't even have words to describe it! You are so very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely stunning! You did an incredible job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh!!! Your quilting is absolutely breathtaking. What a stunner! I can't wait to see this one with crystals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quilt is absolutely gorgeous. You should be very proud. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete