Friday, May 20, 2011

The real MQS post!

Pin It I have to apologize to all of you for only just recently replying to all of your comments and emails from last week.  During my trip, I only opened the lid on my computer twice!  I know there are some of you I still haven't replied to.  If you don't get a reply, please know that your comments and feedback are immensely appreciated, regardless!

Now, I fully intended to blog about my trip, DURING my trip.  It just didn't end up that way.  I was constantly going here and there and everywhere, and it just didn't happen.  I also intended to take hundreds of pictures, as I usually do, but the truth is that I was barely even in the exhibit hall. 

This will be long, since I'm trying to squeeze everything into one post.  Hopefully it'll be worth the read for you?!

I got into KC around 9:30 (?) Saturday night and was immediately greeted in the driveway by my gracious host, Sheryl and her husband Clif.  What an awesome couple.  I just love them!  We shared some wine, chatted about quilty and non-quilty things, and then went to bed.

Sunday, Sheryl and I headed to Lawrence around noon so that I could see Sarah's Frabrics downtown.  I'd heard so much about this place, but had never been there.  Let me just tell you, everything I heard about it was spot on!  They have every type and brand of fabric under the sun, from every designer you could ever imagine.  Unfortunately, they did not have the one thing I was looking for!

This is just a small portion of their "Wall of Kaffe", which is the only part of the store that is completely organized!

After Sarah's we headed to another quilt shop, Stitch On, which is conveniently located right across the street.  I met and spoke with the owner and her daughter (family owned and operated, AWESOME!) and bought a panel for a baby quilt I plan to cut apart and sew back together for my Etsy shop.  Very nice people. 

We had lunch, walked around all of the different shops, and I was so excited when I saw this, that I had to take a picture:

If you don't know what that is, I cry for you!
On our way out of town, we drove through the KU campus, because I'd never been there.  It's a gorgeous campus, and I even saw the real Lilac Lane, which is how my friend, Melissa got her trademark name!  After getting back to Lenexa, we headed to Popeye's Chicken.  None of you will ever understand how cool Popeye's Chicken can be.  ;)

Monday was an early day, as I was volunteering as a Teacher's Angel for Sherry Rogers-Harrison's Intro to Ink-Lique class at 8am, which meant I had to be there by 7:30.  It was an EXCELLENT class and I even got to take part and paint my own sample.  Meeting Sherry was awesome, as she's a pretty awesome lady!

And I just have to tell you this part...  The first time I went to MQS, in 2009, I had only been quilting for a few months and had no idea what I was getting myself into.  At every show, they give a Viewer's Choice award, where everyone at the show gets to vote for their favorite quilt.  To this day, this is one of my favorite quilts I've ever seen, I voted for it, and in her class I got to touch it!! (That's me on the left)

After class I was supposed to volunteer to help with judging, but they said they didn't need me, so Sheryl and I had a yummy lunch at Dean and Deluca.  Then I was on my own as Sheryl was volunteering into the night.

Tuesday was another early morning.  We got up and drove to Nebraska to go to the International Quilt Study Center and Museum in Lincoln.  We stopped for something to drink at a Wendy's somewhere in BFE, Iowa.  You'd think they'd never seen a chick with pink hair and holes in her face the way people stared.  =\  When we got into Lincoln, we searched for a place to eat and holy cow, I saw an Amigo's!!!!  Keep in mind that I left Nebraska over ten years ago, and I rarely make it back.  I probably hadn't eaten at an Amigo's in twelve years or so.  I am in no way saying that it is good food.  But it brought back memories!  Then off the the museum we went!

I took 73 photos of the Whitework Corded Quilting exhibit.  I will only share a couple, of one of my favorite quilts.  The full view is a picture of the quilt against a light box so that you can really see the cording.  The close up is even better.  The white areas of the quilt are where the light is shining through the fabric.  The brownish spots are all the areas of the cord.  That's a LOT of cording, people!

Wednesday I had class, and then the exhibit hall opened where we got to see all of the quilts hanging.  I ran into Claudia Pfeil, an adorable lady from Germany that comes to the states every year for MQS.  I would too, if I won the awards that she does!  We took some pictures with her quilt (which won the Best of Show award, I might add)...

And some pictures with my quilt...

And then began the harassment.  I was told I needed to go to the awards ceremony because I was going to win something.  But Sheryl and I had been looking forward to going to Cirque du Soleil for months!  After two and a half hours of contemplating, and my friend and Gammill rep saying, "The ribbon will always be there, Cirque is only tonight", I decided to go with my gut and go to the show.

Karen McTavish was supposed to go with us, but she opted for the awards ceremony instead.  She missed an excellent show (no pictures allowed)!!!  But Sheryl was the lovely person that she always is, and gave the extra ticket to our server at dinner, at Gordon Biersch (excellent lobster mac n cheese, by the way). After the show, running through downtown KC in the rain, I found out that I had won a second place ribbon!

Here is the quilt that won first place:

And my friend, Karen Marchetti got a Judge's Award!!

Thursday I had class again.  A wholecloth design class with Karen McTavish.  I spent most of my time helping the other students, and only got the center medallion of my own quilt finished.  After class, I went to dinner at J Gilberts, which was also excellent!  The server even gave us a free dessert!  (She got a big tip!)

Friday, more class.  Saturday, our Flash Mob of Quilts (it was windy and cold!) and then back to the convention center to meet my friend, Barb.  Then I had to wait around to pick up my quilt, which they lost.  Yes.  They lost my quilt.  I was the first there to pick up and the last to leave, nearly in tears!  Back home Sunday, with several pit stops along the way to enjoy it a little more.

It was a stupendous and exhausting trip!
I have to thank Sheryl again, for letting me take over her guest room for a week, and for being my backbone through this entire process.  All of my other friends who offered encouragement and support, I thank you as well.  I never thought it would happen, people said it couldn't happen, and it totally did.  So there!  NEENER!!!  =] 

There's a lot more to be said, but I think I've said enough!  To anyone that made it to the show, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed yourself.  I know I did!

(I hope I didn't bore you all into a coma!)


  1. Yay for Lilac Lane! Sounds like a super fun trip. Maybe someday . . . if they make at a time other than market!

  2. BFE Iowa---that's where I live!! :) And what do you mean they lost your quilt??! it just disappeared? sounds like you had a great time nonetheless

  3. Did they find your quilt??? I certainly hope so.

  4. Please tell us they found your quilt!!! I would be in tears too if I had spent as much time, blood, sweat and tears on the quilt as you did.

  5. I love the movie 'Big'. How cool is that!?! What a whirlwind week, but, oh so rewarding.

  6. Okay, I've been patient.....did they find your quilt???? I would be going bonkers by now if it were mine. Love the reference to BFE. Next I expect to see you say something is a POS. BFE and POS are some of our favorite acronyms. HA!

  7. wow congrats! it is such a beauty