Thursday, July 7, 2011

Luck, or something like it

Pin It I've been thinking a lot over the past few days about how lucky I am.
There are always things in life that will bring us down.  To what degree they bring us down is up to us.  What's important is to focus on the things that lift you back up.
I have wonderful, beautiful, creative, funny, inspiring, supportive friends.  When I'm doubting myself, when I have problems (and am actually willing to share them, which is usually not the case), when I need an ear, they're there.  I will be the first to admit that I can be flaky at times, forget to call you back, forget to reply to your email for two months, etc.  That doesn't mean I don't think of you often.  And my true friends understand. 
I get to spend my days doing something that I love.  Of course there can be negatives to that too, but again, the positives far outweigh any negative that I'm faced with in my work.  I spend my life making people happy.  More and more people are telling me that I inspire them.  Um, WOAH.  I've always been happy being inspired by others.  Never in a million years did I think that I would also inspire others. 
I get to wake up every day and create.  Create beauty.  I get to make the world a more beautiful place, one quilt at a time.  I get to invoke smiles.  I get to receive hugs. 
I've been fortunate enough to achieve some level of success in a career that I've been working at for only a short time.  Knowing that I am worthy of competing in my work, with people that I look up to and admire, is the most amazing feeling in the world.  I don't handle attention very well.  When I receive congratulations or compliments, I will usually try to change the subject.  But not because I don't appreciate the praise.
I've always been more of an academic.  I didn't think I had a creative bone in my body.  It was purely by chance and misfortune that I was thrown into this crazy whirlwind that I now call my life.  I'm grateful for the misfortunes that led me to this place. 
The last year has been so full of positive experiences, I feel like I'm just bursting at the seams.
One thing after another.  One good thing after another.  I cannot articulate in words how awe-inspired and humbled I've become through all of this.
If you're reading this, I consider you a friend and I'm thankful for you.  From the bottom, top, and each side of my heart.

4 comments:

  1. I appreciated this.

    [Hard to believe, I know.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more reason I like you so much...you'd write this particular blog. And actually mean it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my sweet Lisa. Talent is often more blood sweat & tears than simply existing. Even natural artists have to work at developing their talent. You've worked hard and that is clearly evident in everything I've seen.

    Happy quilting!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete