Saturday, September 17, 2011

One of my secrets revealed: Oliver!

Pin It I've been keeping lots of secrets lately.  I told you all I can keep my mouth shut when I have to!  Now I will reveal one of them, which is probably a much bigger deal to me than maybe it should be (? - naaaaaah that doesn't sound like me at ALL!) and none of you will even care.

I started hinting at it on Facebook about a month or so ago.  I started talking about it on Facebook a week or two ago.  The nice thing about Facebook is that I can talk about things I don't want the whole world to know about just yet.  I was hesitant to share the news on my blog until it was actually a reality.

I got another quilting machine!  When I say "another", I don't mean one to replace the one I already had.  I mean one in addition to the one I already had.  In. Sane.  Right?



I was worried that my clients would "joke" about me being able to work twice as fast (I get really tired of jokes about me not working hard enough) but I was pleasantly surprised when the usual response I got upon sharing the news was, "when will you ever sleep?"  I already don't sleep.  But hopefully having two machines will help me to not have to work soooooooooooo many hours a day/week/whatever.

Anyway!  More about Oliver!  He is a Gammill Vision, a 22 inch head on a 12 foot table with the Breeze track system.  He will be a nice addition to the 30 inch head on a 14 foot table.  They're not in the same room together yet, but they will be soon. 

Why the name Oliver?  Well.  I just love the name.  And I had kind of forgotten how much I loved it until a friend of mine, Karen Marchetti (she's UH-MAYZING) did an art quilt titled Oliver (see???  UH-MAYZING and if you go to Festival in Houston, you will see him in person!).  I love Oliver, I love the name Oliver, and I sometimes call it Ollie for short.  Just depends.

I've only had the machine since Wednesday and can't stitch on it much as there are some kinks that need ironed out, but I've already managed to put nearly 100K stitches on him!


It's hard teaching yourself to quilt on a new longarm.  I will tell you that much!  Here's my play sandwich.  I don't think I've familiarized myself with it enough to work on any customer quilts yet because my stitching looks like crud (of course this sandwich is stitching over stitching over stitching)!


And I even painted the walls my current favorite color.  GREY!  Which makes the machine look grey, but it's actually white.


I'm so glad that Gammill is so customer service oriented.  I spent a good hour on the phone with their head electrical engineer and who-knows-how-long with everyone else at headquarters.  They're the nicest people! 

Anyway.  That's one secret!  Now tomorrow (which will be *today* by the time this post is scheduled for publishing) I will be blocking one super secret quilt after I'm done teaching for the day.  Then Sunday I'm headed to the Springs (Colorado Springs, that is) and next week?  I HAVE to continue working on the super secret quilt's super secret sister!  You will see both of them in a few weeks and I'm pretty sure your jaws will drop.  =]

I hope everyone has an excellent weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new machine! It is beautiful. Someday I would love to learn how to long arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new machine and I certainly hope it will make your life a little easier and smoother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new machine. My husband doesn't seem to think i need my own long arm. No matter how much I tell him I really do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!! I'm pretty sure you don't sleep. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new machine. I got my Gammill in Jan and you are right about those kinks. I named my machine Dudley because it was such a dud when I got it. It's all good now though and we are the best of friends. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choices, choices. Now you'll have to figure out which quilt to quilt on. That will help if you are having a 'brain drain' on what to do. Enjoy them both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother recommended I may like this blog. He was once entirely
    right. This put up truly made my day. You can not consider simply
    how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!


    Have a look at my weblog; Beste ForbrukslÄN

    ReplyDelete