Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I've been dying to share this quilt!

Pin It So, forever ago, Megan over at The Bitchy Stitcher asked me to quilt a quilt top for her.  Of course I agreed because I kind of adore her.

The problem is, it was supposed to be a surprise for the person that would eventually give this quilt a forever home, so I didn't want to blog about it and ruin the surprise!  You can read more about the great story behind this quilt here.  But basically, one of her readers gifted her a plane ticket to visit her brother after his brain cancer diagnosis.  All that reader asked for in return was a quilt made by Megan.  And I got to be a part of that, which is a pretty cool thing to me.  So here it is.  Megan took several pictures, which I am grateful for because they look so much better than the ones I take of the quilts draped over my cutting counter. (Click the pictures to get a better view)


This is my favorite picture because I love seeing her girls' little legs and feet from underneath!





That sucker will forever be one of my favorite quilts.  Ever.  I just love it.  Forever.

After finishing that one, another favorite person brought me her quilt top.  When she saw Megan's, she said she wanted hers quilted really similar.  EXCELLENT!  I don't mind doing the same thing over and over again if it's pebbles and feathers.  If you couldn't tell.  So here is Lynn's beauty.



And then there's Glenda, who deceived me by telling me she had a "baby quilt" for me.  Now, technically it is a baby quilt, because it's for a two year old.  However, it was not baby-quilt-sized!  But I'm okay with that.  Because I got to do pebbles and swirlies.  Now, I had a bit of a breakdown during the quilting of this top.  I don't mean a mental breakdown.  An actual breakdown.  Of the quilting machine.  That... sucked.  But I put about 300 drops of oil in the sucker and the next day it was good to go again.  Here's how far I got before the thing died on me.  All I had left to do was that bottom right corner!


It would've been a one-day job which I was really excited about, but that's okay!  Because here's a horrible picture of it finished.  =]



I also got two king sized quilts, two queen sized quilts, a wall hanging and a door hanging quilted.  I was productive over the last week!

I finished putting together the top of my super-secret quilt last night.  Now I have to prepare it for quilting.  I'm thinking of cancelling my classes for this month if my students will allow it.  If you're reading this, and you're in one of my classes, please allow it!

Twenty two days until Melissa and I leave for Houston!  And then I will finally be able to show and tell you all about why I'm a total space cadet lately!
Will I see any of you there?

4 comments:

  1. Awww...I'm such a new quilter, and I'm so wishing I could go see all of y'all, but sadly I can't. I know you're going to have a blast! And the quilts (and your quilting) are awesome. The flowers on Glenda's quilt so so 3-dimensional. Is that because of the way you quilted it? Wow! And Megan's quit...awesome too. (Oh, and BTW, I got my calendar, and loved seeing Mr. December). HA! Did you fall for that wimpy "Oh, and BTW" comment???? That was a quick turn-around time getting that calendar, and I so loved seeing all those men with their burritos and quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilting as always!! I will definitely look for you if I get to go to Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts and quilting. Have fun in my native Texas. Wish I was there again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those quilts are beautifully quilted! You do outstanding work.... but how did you get the energy to get it all done? Please share ;-)

    ReplyDelete