Friday, November 4, 2011

Anniversary, the *BIG REVEAL* and some fun news

Pin It I wanted to post this yesterday but my internet at home has been funky (and I realized last night that my modem has decided to bite the dust) and I'm trying not to surf at work to do some crazy things like increase my productivity. If you're my friend on the ol' FB, you already saw everything I'm about to post. If you're not my friend on FB and you'd like to be, send me an email!

Anycrap. Yesterday was my third anniversary. Anniversary of quilting. Three years ago I knew nothing about this stuff. Three years ago from this very moment, I was stitching in the ditch for the first time on a longarm machine. It was a couple of months later that I pieced my very first quilt, which now resides with my friend Shay in North Carolina.


It's amazing how lucky I've been and how far I've come in these three years. It's been a huge learning experience and I'm flattered that people trust me to teach them what I know, considering I'm always learning, even when I'm teaching.

So if you aren't on "FB", you're probably wondering what this "Super Secret Project" is that I've been babbling on and on about for the last few months. You may not think it's that big of a deal, but for me, it absolutely is. What an honor to be asked to do something with such a wide reach and a large impact on the quilting community as a whole.

You all know who Alex Anderson, Ricky Tims and Sarah Vedeler are, right?  All superstars in the industry.  And you all know what The Quilt Show is, right?  Even if their style isn't your cup of tea, most in the quilting community absolutely know who these people are, and they are very respected as being pioneers in their own right.

The Quilt Show has a yearly block of the month program that they host through their website that thousands of people sign up to do every year.  This year, my friend and wonderful person, Sarah Vedeler was asked to design the block of the month quilt for the show!  They always have two colorways, to suit everyone's tastes.  This year, I was asked to make one of them.

HOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

The quilts were finally revealed at Quilt Festival in Houston yesterday, so I can show the whole thing now.  But before I do, I have some explaining to do.

This is the most important quilt that I never cared about.  That's kind of misleading.  When I first started out, I was so paranoid about everything being perfect.  I mean, it's going to be seen by thousands (millions?) of people, at Festival, on the show, in magazine advertisements, etc.  So it had to be perfect, right?  But let's not forget that my boyfriend and I broke up just after I finished actually putting it together, when it was time to quilt it.  That was... wonderful.

I'm only being partly sarcastic there, because I was so depressed, down in the dumps and out of my mind that I really didn't care how it turned out.  I didn't rip anything out, I cut corners and skipped over seams where I normally would've tied off and started new.  I didn't worry so much about fixing thread shred, making sure all of my starts/stops match and I absolutely, positively did not bury a single thread.  Because I just didn't care.  About anything, really.  It turned out that all of that not-caring was the best mentality I could've had because it turned out pretty damn beautiful (if I do say so myself) and I wasn't stressed about the quilting while I was doing it at all.  I wish someone would break up with me before EVERY major quilt (but not really, but totally yes)!

So without any further ado, here is Sedona Star, The Quilt Show's 2012 block of the month (at different stages of completion).  As always, click the images to get a better view of detail!


Hanging in the TQS booth in Houston

Ricky, Justin and me posing with it (before the reveal, luckily few people saw it) for the Editor in Chief of American Quilter magazine

Most of the center was done, here

The back with everything but the settings and the filler in the center border done

The back, ALL done!

The front, in the middle of the night during its first blocking

And the front after I finished its second blocking!

Sarah's is the other colorway and this picture was taken while I was blocking it, as well.  This is the wallpaper on my phone! (It replaced a picture of Caleb and me) =]

And just a little bit more detail.

Now, my fun news.  Today, I bought another sewing and embroidery machine.


It's a Brother Isodore Innovis 5000 Laura Ashley edition sewing and embroidery combo.  Am I getting rid of a machine for this one?  No.  Do I need it?  Opinions vary, but I'll go with yes!  Can I afford it?  Shhhhhhh.  But I think I deserve it (I'm sure opinions vary on that too!).

So I hope my super secret project doesn't disappoint any of you.  It was huuuuuuuuge to me!  :O)

I still owe you some Market stuff.  Check back here and also at GenQ for more on that!

14 comments:

  1. Oh.wow. This is fabulous! I am approaching my third anniversary of quilting, but I couldn't begin to do this! It is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your talent is astounding! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your colorway the best. What a quilt! What quilting! I've been at this for 10 years, but, I'll never get to this level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is BIG news! Congratulations the quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure what's more incredible...getting this opportunity to make this quilt or doing it after only 3 years (I've been making quilts for over 20 yrs!).
    margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful news! And, that is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely amazing, Lisa!!!!! You have an amazing talent!!! Yes, you deserve the sewing machine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is beautiful! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Greetings from Finland! Thank you for showing these lovely quilts! I love your blog!
    It’s so nice to find other quilters all around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how do you like your Brother Isodore (Innovis 5000) machine? I've been contemplating one.

    ReplyDelete