Saturday, November 26, 2011

This one's for the girl. THIS girl!

Pin It If you've been following my blog for a while (long time), you might remember that once upon a time I made a quilt top for myself.
You can read more about it here (and a few others before that but Blogger is being an asshole and connecting all of my links).

I have been waiting for-ev-er to quilt this top.  It is the one top that I've ever made that I knew was going to be for me.  I knew when I started making it that it wouldn't be given to anyone, no one could talk me out of it, it was mine.  That has never happened before.  This was the one.

It has been sitting and waiting for nearly two years for me to give it a little attention.  I put myself on my waiting list at the beginning of last year, but other things always seem to make this poor little guy less important.  This year, when Thanksgiving came, I decided that the ONE thing I wanted to do, was quilt this top for my bed.  And if I did it over Thanksgiving, nobody waiting for their Christmas quilts (I only have two left, shhhhhhh) could complain, right?

I again entered into the quilting with the no-plan-plan.  I knew I wanted to stitch in the ditch in the "scrappy" areas.  I say "scrappy" (in quotes) because while it's supposed to be scrappy, it really isn't.  I can't do anything truly scrappy.  I very carefully chose the fabrics.  I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that now, since I started this quilt with only a year of quilting under my belt.  But I still love it. 

So!  Stitch in the ditch was done (which was really difficult because I love the look of a flat top with seams pressed open, but I didn't have the patience to quilt it actually *in the ditch*.  Customer top?  Yes.  Mine?  Nah).  Then I knew I wanted feathers.  But I was so confused by the continuous rings versus the cut off sections (I'm making my Elvis lip face right now), that I didn't know where to start.  So...  I just dove in.  I had the same mentality that I had with The Quilt Show block of the month quilt.  No ripping out, no second guessing, just get it done and have it over with.

I just started stitching away and then there was this:


Is it perfect?  Absolutely not!


Is it fancy?  Nope.


But it's done.


And it's mine!  I have never put this thing on my bed, not even before I quilted it to be sure it would fit.  Why?  Because I just don't care.  It's a quilt that is strictly for me and that's all that matters to me right now.  I have to pick out a binding fabric and then I can take it home for my kitty cat to crawl up into it while I meticulously hand-sew the under side of the binding (Elvis lip again).

I have a lot of fun and exciting things to share in the (hopefully) near future.  I know...  more secret stuff.  I'm sorry.  But it's exciting, I promise!!!  I hope you all had as much fun over the holiday as I did!

15 comments:

  1. Wow. I am completely in awe!

    What an amazing and gorgeous quilt this is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it is gorgeous, I love those feathers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may not be perfect, but it's perfectly fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's a beutiful quilt and amazing quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh I wouldn't give it away either. You go girl, that quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. I love it and the quilting is fabulous....

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no way I would want to give it to anyone either! Beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on quilting a quilt just for you!!! The quilting looks pretty amazing to me. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love your quilting. I have never been much for stitch in the ditch but it sure works for this quilt. The back is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really beautiful! I love the quilting you did on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My Gosh! It's BEAUTIFUL! What's wrong with coordinated scrappy? Enjoy this lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful quilt! that quilting is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful. We are looking for a pattern to make for our Agricultural Society to celebrate our 150th year of our local fall fair. I think I have found it.

    ReplyDelete