Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My most favoritest recipe in the history of forever

Pin It Some of you might remember this post over at Generation Q Magazine from way back in January.  Ever since that interview, I've had several people ask me for my beef tips recipe.  I told them that if they sit tight, I would eventually blog it for them.  I wanted to  make them again before posting my recipe on the internet to be sure they're as good as I remember.

Since they take so long to make, and time is my enemy of late, it has taken me this long to get around to making them.  It turns out that having a mystery illness that causes you to spend way more time away from work than you'd like, also opens up all kinds of time to remember how much you love cooking!

Let me preface this by stating that this recipe is all about personal preference.  I started working on the perfect (for me) recipe back in 2003.  It took me a few times of making them - and making adjustments - to get them just the way I like them.  I promise they will be the most tender, delicious beef tips you will ever make!
Here we go.



What you'll need
* 1 medium onion, chopped (I prefer yellow onions - don't make my eyes feel like they're going to shoot out of my head)
* 3 tablespoons butter
* Garlic, in whatever form you like.  Fresh minced, dry minced, powder, whatever.
* 2 lbs. stew meat (If you have a roast in the freezer, thaw it out and cut it up.  If you have steaks, cut them up.  For this batch, I bought two sirloin steaks, which I've never done before)
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/4 cup water
* 1 packet dry brown gravy mix (yes I'm serious)
* 3/4 cup water

To start, slowly melt the butter (or whatever you prefer to use for sauteeing) in a LARGE skillet.  The bigger the better.  Add onions and sautee until tender and clear.
Add cubed meat.  Cook only until browned.  You won't be cooking them all the way through. 

Once the meat is browned, add the soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and 1 1/4 cup water.  Bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for two hours

Increase heat and return to a boil.  In a bowl or mixing cup, combine the gravy mix and 3/4 cup of water until mixed well.  Pour into pan and let boil for 10-15 minutes.  Reduce heat again.  The sauce will thicken as it simmers.  If you like a thinner sauce, use 1 cup of water with the gravy rather than 3/4.  If you like thicker sauce, let it boil a little longer before reducing heat.

And they're done!  Since these beef tips have a sort of Asian flavor to them, I usually serve them over rice with steamed broccoli on the side.  I will sometimes add some water chestnuts into the mix to give a little more texture.  For this particular batch, I had no fresh veggies, except potatoes.  So I served them over delicious garlic mashed potatoes instead.  Yum!

This recipe is also rather easy to adjust for if you need to feed more people.  I have doubled, and even tripled it before and it worked fabulously.  If you make them, please let me know what you think!

21 comments:

  1. YUM! These sound really good. I may try them, but, my stove won't simmer (believe me, I've tried every burner and setting). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight & the flavor was wonderful, and the texture of the meat was perfect - but the gravy was way too thin. Wondering if I should have simmered it without a lid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to reply via email but you comment as a ni-reply. So I'm pasting my email here.
    That's crazy! I'm a thicker gravy kind of gal and it's perfect for me. Okay, you can try simmering without a lid, or there are a couple of other things you can do. First, when you add the water, soy sauce and Lea & Perrins, change the amount of water to 1 cup rather than 1 1/4. Also, rather than simmer, cook it at a low boil for the two hours. That way it will cook off some of the excess without making the flavor too strong. I'm glad you liked the flavor though! I think I would eat these every day if I was a big meat fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apprecіаte іt for thаt writing.

    Lеarn how to hаlt and defeat anхiety аnd
    ρаnic pгoblems.

    Ϻy homepage - how to stop anxiety attacks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks foг the article. Βe able to stop as
    well aѕ conquer anxietу and panic violencе.


    Also visit my ѕіte how to stop anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you fοr thаt poѕt.
    Learn to halt as well as triumph over panic attacκѕ and anxіеty
    ρгoblems.

    Feel frеe to visit my page - how tо stop аnxietу (4321.in)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thankѕ ωіth the post. Learn to stop
    аnd alѕо ԁefeat anхietу assаultѕ.


    Heгe is my blοg poѕt ... how to overcome anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aρρгeciate it for that post. Leaгn to quit аs well as get over аnxiety ρrοblems.


    Нavе a lοok at my web-site; how to stop anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your short artіclе. Figure out how to quit in adԁition to οvегcome panіc
    assaults.

    Αlso visit my weblog; how to stop panic attacks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apprecіаte it to the writing.
    Figure out how to ѕtop in addition to get oνer panic violenсе.



    Here іs my ωеb blog; how to stop anxiety attacks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanκ you fоr that post. Learn hoω to ceaѕе anԁ alѕo defeаt ρanic
    аttасkѕ and anхіety ѵiolence.


    Ηere is mу web sіtе how to
    overcome аnxiеty (houston-imports.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Сheers ωith the short аrticle. Discovеr ways to quit аnd alsο oѵeгcome ρаniс
    anԁ anxіеty аttаckѕ.



    my blοg post :: how to stop anxiety attacks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your aгticle. Learn how to hаlt in
    addition to defeat panic assaultѕ.

    Have a looκ at my wеbsite; how to stop panic attacks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Appreciate it to the ρost. Dіѕcοѵer ωays to ceаse anԁ
    defeat аnxiety anԁ panic assaults.

    Ѕtop bу my page ... how to stop anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thаnκ уou for thе ѕhort aгtісle.
    Learn to quit аnd defеat аnxiеtу and pаnіс
    violenсe.

    my web blоg :: how to stop anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  16. Appreciate it to the pοѕt. Disсover waуs to quіt аѕ well as gеt over anxiety аnd
    panіc episodеs.

    Hеre is my web sіte - how to stop anxiety attacks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ϲheers for that short article. Figure οut hοω to cease
    and alѕo conquег pаniс attaсkѕ and anxietу episodes.



    Alsο visit my blоg - how tο stop anхіety
    attacκѕ (http://forums.catholic.com/member.php?u=407199)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mаny thаnkѕ foг thе post.
    Discoνer ωays to halt anԁ overcome ρanic episoԁes.



    Fеel fгеe to surf tο my ωeblog - how to stop panic attacks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheеrs fοr the short аrticlе.
    Figure out how tο stop аnԁ also overcome paniс аttaсks and anхiety attacκs.


    Here is my page: how to stop anxiety attacks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Аppreсіate it with the
    ωriting. Discover ways to enԁ аnd conquer panic assaults.


    Here is mу wеbsite :: how to stop panic attacks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks to the writіng. Be ablе to сeaѕe anԁ аlso tгiumph οvег anxiеty аssаults.


    Here is my webpagе ... how to overcome anxiety

    ReplyDelete