Monday, May 14, 2012

Odds and ends and "stuff"

Pin It
It is highly likely that this will be my last post until after Quilt Market and MQS.  I have a big embroidery event that we're hosting on Tuesday and then I'm leaving for KC on Wednesday.  I planned to start packing early but it's been busy around here, and I've just been too tired.

Aside from Lynn's quilt I've been working on several other things.  I quilted six other client quilts in the last week and a half.  One of them was a sweet little graduation gift for an acquaintance's daughter.  The quilt top was made by the graduate's grandmother shortly before she died.  It was constructed from the clothing of the graduate's mom and aunts from when they were younger!  How cool is that?  The top had a little bit of an attitude problem, but I disciplined it into submission.
Before on the left, loaded on the frame.  After on the right after trimming.


I did another graduation quilt for a young lady that has earned a music scholarship to college, so her grandmother went all out with a musical theme in the top.  Grandma wanted custom quilting on a panto budget but I think I came to a compromise that left us both pretty happy!  It needed a little more quilting than I had planned to do, as it had a bit of an attitude as well. (I'm aware that I need to work on my photography skills!)


I did a king sized all-over pattern on another I don't have pictures of, and a large denim quilt that I also didn't get pictures of!  I was scared to death to put that sucker on my machine, but it all worked out well in the end.

Last Sunday I went into work with a pretty solid plan to bind my Savanna Bop quilt entirely by machine.  I changed my mind and decided that I wanted to make the best of my uninterrupted time at work, so I just applied it to the front by machine and bagged it up to bring it home for the rest.  Then I pulled out a project that I started a long time ago.

Sarah Vedeler's GO! Bloom.  Sarah sent me these designs before they were even available for purchase.  I had decided that rather than using cotton, I was going to make this quilt out of dupioni.  Entirely.  Background, applique, the works.

All was going well, but at the time I was preparing to leave for MQS!  Go figure it was this time last year...  Anyway, it was about 2am and I was working at the quilting machine with my embroidery machine going at the same time.  Never do that at 2am!  It turns out, I had accidentally hit one of the buttons on the face of my machine, which kept it from stopping for thread changes.  I'm sure you can imagine how that turned out.

Now since this was done on dupioni, which is delicate, I was hesitant to rip it out and re-do it.  My friend Melissa suggested I just cut the corners off (where the problem was) and make it into a small, circular table-topper.  Excellent!

So Sunday I loaded it on one of the quilting machines, and quilted it in my new Marathon metallic thread which gives it a pretty sparkle!



It will be hanging in Sarah's booth at Market, so if you're there, stop by and see her!

I've got one more to show you, but I'm only showing you a teensy weensy bit of it.  



That's it! I have one more on the frame that I'm still hoping to finish before I leave.  Fingers crossed!
Sorry for babbling.  I've been cleaning too much and sleeping too little.

I hope you'll hunt me down and say hi if you're at market.  I will be floating around a bit and you can find me in the Generation Q booth on Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. You sound crazy-busy as always! That's good though. Have fun at MQS and Market, hug my quilt for me.... take loads of pics and make sure you FB while you're away! I don't think I can deal with Lisa-withdraw! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised you're tired - how many quilts? They all look fab (as always) but I especially love the silk quilt. Stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the silk! Hang in there and sleep when you can:)

    ReplyDelete