Thursday, July 26, 2012

A VERY long-kept secret!

Pin It
Sooooooooooo way back in January when Melissa of GenQ and I were on the phone doing my interview for the web version of the magazine, she began to ask me about my "quilter's bucket list".  She asked me what was next.  I started thinking about it and I really had no idea.  That was the point when I realized that everything that I wanted to achieve, I had already done in my three measly years.  Melissa said, "I think you should write a book!"  What was I supposed to write a book about?  She didn't know.  She's just convinced that I need to write one.
I started tossing around ideas for what I could add to my bucket list that would be realistic goals, but nothing seemed that it was realistic at all and I basically had decided that I wasn't going to add anything to my bucket list, but that I would just let things happen as they're supposed to. 
Then while I was in New Orleans in February, I was walking the show floor during the opening day festivities and my phone boinged at me.  I got an email from Mary.  Mary who?  Mary Schilke, co-founder of Machine Quilters Exposition.  In that email, Mary asked me if I would ever consider joining the staff at their show as a teacher.  WHAT?!  I'd only been quilting three years!  There's no way people would want to learn anything from me!
Then I started thinking about it and realized how many times I've been asked by people to teach them what I do.  And I agreed.
I'M TEACHING AT MQX IN NEW HAMPSHIRE!
Not only am I teaching classes on the longarm, but I'm also teaching EMBROIDERY classes.  Offered for the first time ever at MQX!  So not only have I been busy with customer quilts and designer quilts and shop hops and blah blah blah, but I've been SUPER busy prepping my proposals for the show.  I will be teaching a minimum of six classes.  I can't tell you exactly what they are yet because the schedule isn't out yet (contracts for teachers haven't even been sent out yet but I couldn't wait any longer).  When the schedule is available I will be sure to let you know.
If you're in the area - and even if you're not, I hope you'll hop out to MQX to enjoy the beautiful quilts, the excellent vendor mall and maybe even take some classes from the super awesome teachers on the bill (I'm totally not including myself as a super awesome teacher though).
That's one of my BIG pieces of news.  I've been dying to share it for nearly six months!

18 comments:

  1. You're a super awesome quilter, so wouldn't the teaching just go right along with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL!!! It still amazes me that you can keep this stuff silent for so long. You are amazingly brilliant (yep yep). I would definitely sign up for one of your classes. I think I would be extremely disruptive though... but in a good way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Lisa! That is totally awesome news & you definitely have enough energy for it - I'm sure you'll do a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be an excellent and super fun teacher. Good going girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to you! We can finally meet in person. I'll be at the show for sure; classes TBD still. Mary also asked me about teaching at MQX, but it is just not my time to try and work out class agendas right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you. Congratulations and hope you love it! Teaching can be a bit scary, but if you are meant to do it, that part goes away quickly. I loved teaching needlework, but that first class was a scary one-I had one of my best stitching friends taking the class & that was what made it doable for me. I just talked at Margaret & she made the whole thing go great. After that first bout of nerves was over, I was good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Lisa!!

    So...where do I sign up? I've gotten so deep into pantos that I don't remember very much freehand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwwwwwsome!!!!!!!!!Congrats Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful Lisa! I'm sure you will do a great job in all the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee!!!
    I can hardly wait to meet you!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you'll make an amazing teacher! You have just the right balance of fun and crazy to keep the class from being dry and boring. That's wonderful news for you and your future students.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news, Lisa! Don't sell yourself short - 3 years of full time quilting is a LOT of experience.

    Plus, my belief is that the social aspect of the class is at least half of the benefit. If you stay focused on the fun, you will be golden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings from Canada -

    So happy that you'll be teaching, but a book by YOU would be just fabulous - you've the spirit and enthusiasm that is needed for younger (aka under 50) quilters to keep it up!! Love, love, love your work & continue to expect great things from you!

    ReplyDelete