Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Changes... Terrifying and Exciting and New

Pin It
It's been another few whirlwind months, for sure!
Since my last entry, I've been to Atlanta and Fredericksburg to teach for Original Sewing and Quilt Expo, NYC for Quilters Take Manhattan by the Quilt Alliance and Portland to teach for MQX.  In a couple of days I'm headed to Houston for International Quilt Market AND Festival.  That's right folks, I'll be there for both this year!  I'll be whipping up some awesome in the Gammill booth with one of my besties, Karen Marchetti! So drop by and check it out.  A good time is sure to be had by all.

I'm hoping that this trip will be uneventful.  I don't share my travel woes on my blog (I save that for Facebook), but trust me when I say that they're abundant!  Just in the last month I've been pulled over on my way to teach at a quilt show on suspicion of being a drug trafficker (I will never drive through South Carolina ever again), and I taught my classes in Portland with a serious case of food poisoning.  YIKES!

Sooooooo anyway.  What are these changes I allude to in the title of this post?

The largest part of my moving to Philadelphia (aside from that whole restructuring-of-my-life thing) was to work with Olde City Quilts, teach private lessons from a studio there, give workshops in their classroom, etc.  As of a couple of weeks ago though, Olde City Quilts is no longer a representative of Gammill Quilting Machines.

So what does this mean for me? Does it mean that I will no longer be giving private lessons and workshops locally?  Nope.  It does not.  I will be attaining an out-of-home studio to give said lessons and workshops right here in Philly.

It may take a little longer to get it off the ground (private lessons were supposed to start in November), and it will be a lot more work, but it will still be happening.  I have found a studio - fingers crossed that it doesn't get snatched up - right down the street from my home and the ball is rolling on all of this.  As for when all of this will become more concrete, I just don't know yet.  But soon.

I will be working with my new Gammill dealers, Steve and Lori Clayton who own Threads Run Thru It quilt shop in Phenix, VA.  Yes, it's Phenix without the "o"!  For now, if you're interested in private lessons or workshops, you're welcome to contact me directly at my business email ( lisa@thatcrazyquiltygirl.com ) but eventually my scheduling will be handled by them.  I will keep you all posted as the updates come in.

In the interest of respecting all parties involved, I will only be answering questions about the new adventure I'm about to be on, and nothing else.

So there you go! Wish us luck in getting this going!
I'll be back when I get to Houston with pictures galore, and if I'll see you there, please drop a line or stop by the booth!




16 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the new ventures Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you were on I-95 or I-20 were you? In South Carolina. We really don't treat everyone that way...you are really special...:-) Wishing you the best with your new business venture. I also wish you were closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your new adventure :-) You'll get there, and I hope you get the studio nearby :-) Wish I could join your classes!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you. It sounds exciting and wonderful. I hope this means you will be able to travel a bit less and have fewer travel woes. I live about four hours from Philadelphia, so you may see me at your new venture some day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter ended up leaving Philly, so the chances of me ever taking a private lesson from you is nil; however, how much would I have to bribe you to give me a private lesson or 10 while you're out here in Road to California? I'll take you to Disneyland as a thank you :).

    Stay safe during your travels and best wishes on a speedy and smooth transition to all things new and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hugs and good luck on your new ventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy busy busy! I played a bit with Lori and Amy's toys in Fredericksburg. Philly's a bit far and lessons would be a big splurge, but with a connection in VA, ya never know! I wish you all the best with your new venture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you all the best in your new endeavors. I hope your experiences are all positive and that you enjoy a life filled with peace, love and joy. I envy all the lucky people who get lessons from you. I love your quilting.
    WIshing you safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this mean you might be spotted in rural VA sometimes, putting Steve and Lori's new classroom to work, teaching some of their new Gammill owners? I hope it will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I attended MQX in Portland with a friend - she is the longarmer and I am a piecer - I took paper piecing classes, and I would loved to have met you - maybe next time you will give us a heads up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Changes, changes, and having a wrench thrown in during the changes. Sorry. I'm sure you will 'find a way' for everything. Till then, enjoy my native Texas for market and festival. I've never been. I didn't quilt when I still lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. See, that's what's so inspiring about you (besides your wildly amazing quilting talent) -- you never let anything squelch your dreams; you just make a new path when you come to a roadblock. Good for you, and good luck with your new endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After taking your workshop in Fredericksburg, I would drive to Philly from Richmond for lessons, heck yeah. I hope all the switching doesn't stress you out. So funny that you actually did spell Phenix correctly, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't know how much you are missed back here. But I'll be checking in here to keep up with your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog and am excited that you are local in Philly to me! I'll be signing up for lessons in the future definitely. Your work is gorgeous. Good luck securing the new space. :)

    ReplyDelete